This week was such a great week for me & working out. In fact, I might have worked out too much...if that's possible. M-F I worked out twice...before work and after work. Today I went to Jazz & Spinning. Tomorrow I am planning on running. I just had such a bad week that working out seemed like the *healthy* way to relieve stress.
I have always been able to work out. That is the one part of a healthy lifestyle that I don't have a problem with. I am a very visual person so I started my own "work out journal" at the beginning of 2007. It's just an excel spreadsheet, but I LOVE looking at it and typing in each workout.
I'm slowly learning that my problem is with food. I eat when I am bored...or when I feel "entitled" This is the one problem with my hella strong work-out week. I had to remind myself all day today that just because I did all those work-outs, it didn't give me the "right" to eat whatever I wanted today.
*Confession* I did have 3 S'mores tonight...but I tracked and counted them :)
The one thing that has changed is the fact that I now WANT to work-out. I used to feel like I "should" or I "had" to. Now, I want to. I've been trying to explain to my husband how good it makes you feel. It's truly invigorating.
I'm also impressed with my willingness to try new work-outs. I never want to get bored. I am a total "newbie" when it comes to Yoga and Pilates. I tried Bikram Yoga (HOT Yoga). It was interesting and I might need to give it a second chance. It was SO hot in there...I believe the thermostat read 102. It was intense. I'd like to try another type of Yoga...one where the room is at a "normal" temp :)
My stand-by class has been and probably will always be Spinning. I LOVE it!
I also do Group Power (similar to Body Pump) and Jazzercise. I know...Jazzercise is really kind of dorky. In fact, I love it because it gives me the "excuse" to dance. And surprisingly, I am not that self-aware in those classes. Don't get me wrong...I know I have to look like a complete dork when trying to do most of those moves (especially hip thrusts and anything "sexy") but it's ok. The only time I am even aware of it is when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I enjoy group classes because I find that I will work harder.
In addition to the "group class" atmosphere. I do love to work-out on my own. About 4 years ago, I "made" myself run. I was the girl who dreaded the "mile run" in gym class because I was not a runner. For some reason, in my mid-twenties, I wanted to be one. I could only go for about 5 minutes at a time. I slowly worked my way up to 3 miles. I'll never forget the day I pushed myself and went 5 miles without stopping. I felt like I was on top of the world!! It's amazing what we can achieve when we let ourselves. I have now completed 4 half-marathons. I have it on my "list" to run a full.
I used to wish for a work-out partner. Everyone always says "it's so much easier with a partner" I've decided that I enjoy answering to myself. I enjoy accomplishing something entirely on my own. Maybe it's a way for me to assert my independence. Maybe it's my own way of reminding myself that I am a strong woman. Whatever it is...I love it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment